Thursday, April 25, 2013

Decorative Picture Frame

If you saw the other day, Taylor and I had ourselves a little shopping spree. One of the things I picked up was a simple Ribba frame via Ikea. Since that store really gets your creative juices flowing, I picked up this already cheap+on sale frame (follow that?) with an idea in mind to spunk it up a little. That idea doesn't follow the predictable steps of spray paint, and chuck a picture in it. No, no. My mind was thinking more like: 
Hang pictures in a picture frame using twine and top it off with a funky banner. 
If you followed that cudos to you. Normally I don't even follow what goes on in my brain.
Dare to care what a 'hang pictures in a picture frame using twin and top it off with a funky banner' sort of craft looks like?
I'm pretty much captivated with it. It's probably the lines of twine, the precious little mini clips, and because I have my own 'mantle' to decorate all in one picture frame that does it to me. Or it could be because it's so functional. 

Let me explain what makes it so functional. There are mini paper clips on the back which makes it oh so easy to switch in and out banners (this is the part that makes me feel like I have my own mantle-- I get to hang banners according to the season. I'm a corny kid)

What You Need
Frame (you don't need glass/matting) (mine was 15 3/4 x 19 3/4)
String or Twine
Hot glue
Optional: Mini clothes pins

Take the glass, matting and anything else out of the frame. You just need the frame. 
On the backside of the frame measure where you want your clothes pins and strong to go. Make a mark on both sides of the frame with pencil. 
(My measurements for the distance each mark was from each other)
Cut string/twine (whatever you use) the length (plus a little longer) of your frame.

Put a dot of hot glue right over top of the pencil mark you made and press the twine down on the hot glue dot. (You may want to add a little hot glue around/on top of the twine to keep it held in place really well)

Once the hot glue dries, take the other end of the string/twine, pull it taught and trim off any extra. 

Do this to as many lines of strong that you have. 
Now, for the clothes pins. The functional clothes pins.
Take your clothes pins and hot glue them to the frame, lining them up against the edge of the frame. Press down on the clothes pin to make sure it is in place. (as you can see, I pushed down rather hard-- resulting in a terrible looking finger)
Display those pictures on the lines of string with mini clothes pins.

And clip a banner on the back! (banner tutorial coming)

Now go find a frame and make it reusable-- it is Earth Day week and all :)

Megan

12 comments:

My name is Rita said...

Love this! Such a cute and clever idea. If you get a chance, please share this on my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/04/sunday-link-party-5.html

Jess @ Spool and Spoon said...

Oh my! This is great and the pom-pom trim was the perfect touch. I need to add this to my to-do list for sure. :) xx Jess

LilyWhite said...

Ah how cute! Thanks for the link up on Frugal Crafty Home blog!!

xoxo, Jordan

www.lilywhite-designs.com

Jordann@JHouseTawk said...

Hi there!! I just wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for the Leibster Award! You can read the post here.
http://jhousetawk.blogspot.com/2013/04/ive-been-given-leibster-award.html

*I am also a new follower of yours* .. Follow back if you'd like :)
Jordann @ J House Tawk

Craftivity Designs said...

Love the little banner! Cute!
- Lora

Carrie from Carrie This Home said...

This is really cute! I love the fact that you can change out the pictures or items as often as you want.

Jennifer Hughes said...

I'd like to invite you to my Friday Flash Blog, where you can share your best blog entry of the week! The party goes on ALL weekend at thejennyevolution.com. And who knows, you may just get featured next week.

Jennifer
thejennyevolution.com

Jennifer Hughes said...

What a party last week on Friday Flash Blog! Thanks for joining us. I hope you’ve visited some of the other community members and you're having a splendid week.

Jennifer
thejennyevolution.com

Craftivity Designs said...

Love your blog and this project is so great! I featured it today on my Kick-Off Friday post. http://craftivitydesigns.blogspot.com/2013/05/kick-off-friday_17.html

Have a great weekend!
Erica @ Craftivity Designs

Kate Henry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate Henry said...

Wonderful idea I think it will be fit for the TV Frame as a Newest Frame Design .. I hope that in your up-coming blog post it will have the Latest Design for it ! Keep it up & Have a Wonderful Day ..

Louis Thomas said...

Hi,

Nice topic about Decorative photo frame. This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...