Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Playing Dress Up With a Dresser

Jeepers. I've been waiting like a 5 year old waits for Christmas morning for this big shining moment. 
I devoted the month of June to a new kind of project, and now since we are at the opening of July the day has finally come for me to share what I've been putting my sweat, tears and the aching pain that seems permanent in my back into.
The title of the post is a dead give-a-way... drum roll please. 

Here's the new hunk of wood nesting under my gallery wall.
sorry for the slightly shadowing and odd lighting pictures. my room is in the basement so I get limited amount of natural light. 

By golly I've painted a dresser. This was my second furniture makeover (you can see my first here). But I can say without a doubt that this one drove me to a higher hill than the last. But that's not to say I didn't LOOOOVEEE slathering (actually spraying) on the sheet of an off-white hue. Even in the hectic, hair-pulling moments that this slick chunk of a dresser and I went through I adored making it something sassy.

Now are you dying to see the befores of each feature of the dresser? Good because I've made about 102 before and after collages for you to compare to.  
A big thanks to my Aunt Sheryl/Cousin Kayla for handing this oaky-now-white beauty down to me. 

The wood wasn't bad, but it just wasn't me. Painting was necessary. 
I went back and forth between a sweet teal, a cool breezy mint, or and avocado green. However, in the end I decided to play it safe and stick with an off white color to it. (It kinda looks stark white in these pictures but there is a hint of a soft cream tone to it) I'm kicking myself for not remembering the color of the paint, but hey I guess it wasn't meant to be. 
When you first look at it it seems to be a blob of white but inside there is a surprise waiting for you...
Badabing-badaboo a popping green waiting for you. #imadearhyme



Over the next week or two (possibly three?) I'll give you the rundown, the details, and the juicy secrets that went through this dressers little life. 
Here's what you can expect: 
The Clean
The Paint Job
The Stenciling 


LEFT: wire basket: dollar store | frame: hobby lobby | boxes: target | flower: garage sale | vase: IKEA
RIGHT: jar: hobby lobby | frame: garage sale | bible verse: made myself 

M: PB Teen | both frames: hobby lobby | cork board: DIY here | giant clothespin: target (added washi tape) | sunshine & saltwater: inspired from PB Teen beach towel (out of stock) but DIY

For now the knobs are staying, but maybe in the near future I'll get something along the line of the ones below. Here is what I've got in mind (apparently I like the glass look). What one is your favorite?
1, 2, 3, 4

So there's a preview of what's to come in the life of this dresser!
Have you been doing any major projects this summer?
Megan

Linking with: My Thrifty Chic, Ginger Snap Crafts, Daisy Cottage Designs, The 36th Avenue, Five Days Five Ways, Naptime Crafters, , Shabby Nest, I Heart Naptime, Be Different... Act Normal, Craft-O-Maniac, Carrie This Home, Get your Craft On, Suburbs Mama, Handmade Cuddles, Monday Funday, The Shabby Nest, Rain on a Tin Roof

4 comments:

t said...

Great job with this! I love that it's simple, yet elegant with the one color. Being able to see the detail really makes it shine!

Jenna LaFevor said...

So pretty! Clean and classic! And I love that pop of green inside! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 4 Blogs! http://rainonatinroof.com/2013/07/give-me-the-goods-monday-link-party-16/
Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

pabla en casa said...

So lovely! you did a great job :)

Ruth Soukup said...

Oh this is beautiful! I love seeing before and after pictures, it's amazing what paint can do! You did a great job! I really love the detail inside the drawers!

My readers would love this before and after! I’d love it if you linked this up over at Living Well Spending Less for Thrifty Thursday this week! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...