Monday, November 25, 2013

Head-wrap Headband

I seem to be kinda a hair accessory junkie. It is my weakness, particularly at craft shows. And when I purchase a new addition to my collection I'm usually gonna go home and make a duplicate. Kinda like the whole if you give a mouse a cookie scenario, only more like if you give a Megan a hair accessory.  
A couple weeks ago I showed you all my first craft show purchase AND a top secret custom order packaging. I promised a tutorial for the contents in the package but little did you know that it was for a head-wrap headband! Muhaha.

By this time you've probably got it figured out, but I purchased a head-wrap headband (yeah I'm strugglin' with a name, this is the best I've got) about 2 months back (I'm behind with this, I know). The thing was a dream-- as in it made bad hair days appear to be better, so obviously I had to make another so I could rotate them out. 

And since this is the first tutorial since about well... 3 months ago. (Shame, shame, shame.) It's super easy! Woohoo! Bonus.

What You Need
2 coordinating kinds of fabric
-2 pieces that measure 3in x 12in (these will be the ties)
-1 piece that measures 18in x 8.5ini(this will be the main band)

Cut out all your fabric pieces, and iron all the pieces. Just make sure to get any wrinkles out.

We'll start off with the ties. So ignore the big band piece for now.
Fold the ties in half right sides together, and press. 
Draw a slant on the wrong side of the fabric. You will use this as a guide at the end while sewing to give the ties and little more interest. 

Sew the open side of the fabric together, make sure to follow your slanted line. 

Done with the ties... for now! 
Onto the band
On both edges (the 18 inch edges) of the band fold in 1/8 inch towards the wrong side. Pin, and iron. Do this across the both sides. 

 Turn your machine onto a very small zig-zag stitch and zig-zag what you just folded. 

On the shorter edges (or the non zig-zagged edges/8.5in edges) turn your sewing machine up to it's biggest straight stitch. You want to gather these ends. Sew across the edge, with a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Make sure you have enough extra thread to gather it up. Do this to both 8.5 inch sides.

After you've gathered both edges, get your ties. Fold in about 1/4 inch-1/2 inch of fabric in on your ties so you get the look above. Stuff the gathered edge of your band into the hole created in your tie piece. 

Put your sewing machine back on normal straight stitch and sew it in place to secure it. Back stitch/go back and forth a few times to make sure it's in place. 

Trim all extra threads and you're done!

And if you're looking for a few new ways to wear it, here's four-- at your finger tips. 

Go have at it and make a headband for everyday of the week! I promise you won't regret it. 
Megan

2 comments:

Julia Nyanyo said...

Very cute, I feel about 25 years too old to wear this but I know several young things who would love these for pressies!
Great quick stocking filler idea Thanks

Crochet Hooks said...

Great tutorial :) We would love you to link up to our Snickerdoodle Sunday @ 2crochethooks sometime! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...